House update

Well we finally have a finishing schedule. We’re supposed to have handover on August 22 which is just scraping in as our lease ends that weekend. I’ve started doing things like selecting the wallpaper for the theatre room. I’ve found some fabulous ones and some of them are quite expensive but my firm favourite so far is this design by Nina Campbell: Fleur de Lys Court from the Birdcage Walk book.

We’ve also just about finished the lighting plan – I just have to sort out a fabric to cover the main light in the Dining bay – I have a back-up which is a sort of ruched dupion silk look fabric in a similar red to that in the wallpaper – although they are for different rooms I want to have splashes of red around. Its actually been very difficult to find the right reds. There’s lots of bricky and winey colours but much less in this red lacquer / crimson kind of tones. I’ve picked out a pretty cool light for the entrance hallway – its glass and semi-opaque in bits – here’s a not very good picture.

Right now they’re finishing the gib – which has caused a bit of panic for us. Nick got out there last night to find that they had put piles of polystyrene outside which had blown around in the wind and panicked the new mares Lil and Anna through their electric fence and into the next paddock. So in the pitch black he had to sort them out into a new enclosure away from the polystyrene which had also blown right across our neighbours paddocks as well. Needless to say we’re pretty unhappy (again). And the week hadn’t gotten off to a good start for Fowlers as when we were out on Sunday they had left such a mess of food scraps, empty and partially empty drink bottles, food wrappers etc inside the house – it was really disgusting – I took about 20 photos as “documentation”. Nick tells me that this had been tidied up but even so – we don’t need to start attracting rodents into our house before we’re even in it!