Week One

Well we’ve been in all of a week and I guess I should tell you how it went. Last Friday: possession day. It was a fine day and we got there at about 10:30 with a modest load from Madras St, and went through the house with Dustin. The builder was here busily putting handles on doors (all day) and the plumber was also here, making some last minute adjustments to nick’s shower. Mostly things looked good although there are still a few things to be done. Dustin was being very agreeable and there were lots of promises to organise for things to be finished over the next few weeks.

Jenni came in and gave us a hand moving things in. One of the things still to be done is a re-oiling of the entire wood floors so that’s the kitchen, living/dining room, theatre lounge and hallways so we have left the big and heavy furniture that goes in these rooms so that we don’t have to move it twice.

By the end of the day I was fairly exhausted but we headed back to madras st to pick up enough food etc to feed ourselves for a couple of days. Saturday was a beuatiful day and we had loads of helpers. First up Nick met Rob in town with the float and they brought out the half-full freezer, our old fridge and a few other big things. Meanwhile I moved lots of boxes and smaller items. Then Suzie and jenni arrived and things got majorly underway. A bit later Tycho and Liz turned up on the bike and that was enough strong people to drag the freezer into the garage where it now lives. That really was the bulk of it. Pretty much everyone brought wine and by mid-afternoon we were mostly pooped out sitting around drinking wine.

Went to bed tired and happy… got up after 1/2 hour and took strong painkillers. Sunday was the day for my family and was dull and rainy. We pretty much just kept emptying boxes all day and moving stuff around. Nick bought some wood from Crusaders but it was terribly wet.

Monday Nick went to work and I stayed behind. It had been pissing down all night and rained constantly. I felt very farmerly going out to feed the horses hay in my boots and oilskin and beany. In the morning Becky came out with Isla and Mathilda and parked way down by the pumpshed as there was a huge puddle at the second gate. After she left I went into town and cleaned the Madras St place. Sarah had kindly offered to help, she is now a professional cleaner, but she’d already helped so much and there wasn’t THAT much to do. Except that I didn’t finish until about 3, oh well. Never mind.

Tuesday Rang Telecom to come and put in phone lines, rang city Firewood to deliver firewood. happily both coming Thursday afternoon which makes my scheduling easier. Had my first alone at home day and it was blissful, although still very wet. Wednesday Back into town for shopping (bathmats etc), work to pick up laptop and loaner wireless card from Dad (yay!!) and drop off keys to madras St. Crossing fingers that that all goes OK. Also finally went to shop to use voucher – bought a glass cake cover that I’d been looking for for about 2 years – none of the are wide enough to take a good sized and tallish cake – how silly. Danni and Al came for dinner and danni brought a magnificent pudding.

Thursday The first day that I’ve really had time to sit around and think, oh now what should I do. Wonderful!! Also a lovely warm sunny day. Took Zoe and Lil’s covers off and put them on the long grass for a good feed as they are a bit thin. Wood came, nice and dry – they are good there. Telecom many came and put in the cables but he can’t hook us up as there needs to be a network box on the road. Could take TWO WEEKS!!!. At least i now have internet. And we can finally fill in the trench, which means a couple of hours on the excavator for some keen person. Luckily there are always blokes happy to play with the digger. Watched The Incredibles on the new projector, just projected on the wall but its amazingly good. Completely redefines watching at home. Way better than the projector that they had at Madras St. Wow… so that’s been my week. There’s been so much happen I have now doubt left out important things. Many thanks to everyone who came out to help us move. All going well we’ll have a housewarming party in a couple of months but I’d like to have a driveway and doorstep first. Well time to go feed the horses again.