I am happy to offer tuition in knife making or blacksmithing to individuals interested in learning this skill. For workshop safety and to maximise your learning I prefer to only have one or two people at a time.
The introductory classes are tasters for novices.
- Suitable for 1-2 people.
- Children over 13 must be accompanied by an involved adult i.e. the adult would be the other person in the session. But in this case would not incur extra cost. For safety reasons I can not accept children 13 or younger.
- All necessary equipment and materials will be supplied including PPE (personal protective equipment) which must be worn as directed.
- Every person entering the workshop will require stout footwear and clothing. Avoid synthetic clothing and hoodies.
Learn how to shape iron by making an S hook.
Time: 2 hours. Cost $100 for one, $150 for two.
Learn how to make Blacksmith’s tongs.
Time: 4 hours. Cost $160 for one, $20 for two.
Make a knife
You will be assisted in completing a carbon steel knife over the course of 4 sessions 2 – 4 hours each.
Time: 8 – 10 hours total hours. Cost: $400 for one, $600 for two.
Once you have the basics out of the way you are welcome to arrange times to come and work in the workshop under supervision. As each person’s project will differ in tooling and consumables prices will need to be negotiated.
Terms & conditions
Please note that this is an active workshop on a lifestyle block not a school room. There are hazards and we take your (and our) safety very seriously. We reserve the right to cancel any sessions where attendees are not behaving in a manner consistent with health and safety requirements and refunds will not be given in such situations. Adults are responsible for the behaviour of their children.
- Vaccine passes are required of all attendees and a QR code is available for scanning in.
- You will be required to wear PPE which may include masks – if you can’t wear a mask please don’t sign up.
- There will be a workshop health & safety induction at the start of the session.
- We have horses and a dog and cat. The horses are usually contained but the dog isn’t. Please ensure you shut the main gate.